Sunday, February 21, 2010

Polar Bears Fight Cancer! Despite the Weather


I'm officially a polar bear thanks to the generous support of friends and family who helped me raise over $385.00 for the American Cancer Society this weekend. I was truly amazed at how much my peeps came through for me on such sort notice. I lost my friend, Lindsy, who was 29 years old to cancer in the fall and a grandmother who had beat breast cancer once only to lose the rematch to a different form of the disease over a decade later.
Meghan listed the names of my donors on the left side of my back and the last names of those who lost the fight, who we love and miss dearly on the right.
Lindsy loved butterflies so Meghan drew a butterfly on my back for her.

I can't say that jumping into a frozen lake in February feels good. In fact, it actually hurt. I experienced an extreme case of brain freeze unlike anything I had ever known before. As soon as you hit the water you immediately want out like a cat getting a bath in acid. I've been scuba diving in a wetsuit with a 42 degree water temperature, I dove into a friend's pool that still had ice on it, mimicking a scene from Cliffhanger, on a five dollar bet in high school, I've fallen through the ice on the river up to my waste as a child, but none of those events compared to the cold I experienced on Saturday.My sister asked me if I'd do it again. You bet your tangerines I would, if it was for a cause like fighting cancer.

Thank you again to all those who helped me raise money for this worthy event. This was for the loving memory of; Lindsy Jarvis, grandma Tollefson, Mark Price, Gloria Sheville, Dean Beretich, and Richard Alberini.

10 Comments:

Blogger H. Harvey said...

Thanks for doing this, Kirk. You're a fine man. While this won't bring any of them back, sadly, we have yet another friend, again one far too young, as are so many, who is trying to not be taken by a form of this didease.

Anything done that might provide... for anyone... that breakthrough, that sudden rescue racing around the corner, the elimination of this as a lethal condition, is a good and great effort.
That said, it sounds like it was a bit on the cold side, li'l buddy. More soup!!

xoxo

9:21 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope something good comes for them.

10:08 AM  
Blogger dao said...

Absolutely amazing Kirk... good job. that is just such an awesome thing you did, and so inspiring. thank you.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirk, Thank you so much for your daring jump inot the icy water!! I can't thank you enough for raising money for such a horrible disease. My hsubands name was on your top right shoulder. We have never met but I thank you. Dean tried to get into trial research at the University of Michigan. His cancer was too advanced. I am hopin gsome day there is a cure for this horrible disease. Thanks again for braving the cold waters!! By the way, george had a great time in Mexico!! His pics are posted on Deans facebook.
Pat Beretich

8:18 PM  
Blogger Gramma K said...

My dear Viking son-Scandinavians everywhere are proud of you. Your grandmother would thank you and be so proud. Thanks also to all the other bears who risked hypothermia to raise money for a good cause. I heard over $30,000.00 was raised. May Thor raise his mighty hammer,Mjollnir,and smite this evil disease.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Pat- my wife and I were heartbroken to hear Dean's story. I'm truly sorry for your loss. George was a peach in Mexico and meeting the Archers and their little friend was a wonderful addition to a bittersweet vacation. I'm happy to have them as friends.

Thank you Dao for your support in more ways than one.

Mama- Smite it Thor indeed! Thank you for the comment and support as well.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Christina Rodriguez said...

I'm thinking I might want to do this once before I leave Minnesota. Kudos to you!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Real Life Mad Man said...

I'm sorry I didn't donate, Kirk. I will certainly donate next year!! (not that I would force you to do this jump again) :)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Mombi said...

I just wanted to stop in and say that every day you amaze me--wether it's with your incredible art talents, kindness and sensitivity, sense of humor or intelligence.

I love you. xoxo

3:45 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Thank you sweetheart. I love you too.
XOX

I didn't briber her with anything to write that. Isn't she wonderful.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home