Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Hunt


I'm not sure where this is going. I wanted to write a young adult novel about a girl who goes to live with her Aunt Dorothy who is a librarian and rather eccentric. While there the girl, Karen, befriends a boy named Tommy and the two spend their boring and uneventful evenings riding bikes about town. One breezy afternoon while she and her aunt are playing cards an unexpected visitor arrives. I tried to write a short story called the - Angry Apparition, but I never got around to it, I'm leaning toward something more complex. Excuse this prattle, I'm just trying to document as much as possible. Here are some sketches and doodles of some ideas.

The drawing in the corner is the original idea I came up with about a strange visitor who tries to swindle Aunt Dorothy, now I'm thinking of secret societies, demons, and human possession.


Here we have two different pictures with one of Karen behind Tommy and the demons on patrol.


















Working out the look of Karen and Tommy.
















Murdoch will be the evil demon lurking for decades in the body of man who acts as a vessel for the demon to be here on Earth - or not.














When I came up with the idea of Murdoch I pictured him depicted two ways; one way as how everyone else would see him - as a strange hermit type who always has stray cats outside his door, and the other as the children see him: as a skinny, sickly, sinister demon. He would eat stray cats and song birds. I have a few doodles of him here. The children first noticed him on a bike ride through the neighborhood.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, I Love it! That Karen character is especially cute:) Suggestion: Make the evil possesed person their teacher, or neighbor, or neighbor who is a teacher.
xo Mom

11:21 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Definitely.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home