Monday, July 14, 2008

The Jig is Up!















In a failed attempt at an experiment in selling art without friends or family acknowledgment, I'd like to take a moment to tell you, my family, that I'm well into my second week of having my art on display and for sale at Square Records in Highland Sq. Akron, Ohio. Meghan put me up to it months ago so I've been feverishly trying to make items that would accommodate the eclectic tastes of the neighborhood and that match my artistic style (whatever that is). Hence, the partial purpose of this blog - I've posted several of the works here. Your comments have been my testing ground. I wanted to see if I could produce art that was aesthetically pleasing, easy to produce and priced just right. As of yet, I've sold three pieces. Two, I believe, to my sister in-law. I didn't want to tell family about the exhibit so that I could see if strangers were into my art and to be able to assign the pieces some type of value. I think I went awry somewhere and it may take many more clinical trials before I have any real evidence of financial success. I think my experiment in the absurd is even more appropriate since I'm trying to sell art in a bohemian, not really affluent, mostly young (poor) neighborhood during a recession. The beautiful part about this was the chance for exposure, a possible sale and to acclimate myself to the vulnerability of putting myself and my art out in the physical world for criticism. No one has signed my guest book, except for a drawing that was possibly done by my niece, which I loved.

I'm busy putting together a dummy book for my children's illustration class, so be patient Jacob and Richard if there isn't a video of a hungry monster guarding treasure for awhile. Thanks for the kind comment Lauren.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mombi said...

You're awesome, your show is awesome and everyone loves you. There's nothing to fear! xoxo, wife

11:43 PM  
Blogger MAGEZ said...

So guess where we're going today! I can't wait to see it!

8:17 AM  
Blogger TheDollimama said...

Ooooh! You know we love your stuff so we're excited to see it on the walls of Square Records! xoxo

10:12 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Thank you for the support and encouragement.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home