Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Train, Dickens, and Crawdads


What do these three things have in common? Nothing really, but they do have to do with my evening in Cleveland. After work I met my mother, my sister Amanda and her two children Zack and Emily in the parking lot near the Cleveland Browns Stadium. There we boarded a train that hosted a traveling exhibit. Disney has been touring the United States promoting their new movie A Christmas Carol and the train made a stop in Cleveland for two days. Guests could walk through the train and view Charles Dickens' quill pen, personal papers, manuscripts, and collections of his works while high definition televisions played a loop of behind the scene images and interviews from the film. One car had a replica of the kind of suits actors wore during filming and cameras perched on aluminum bars at various angles to capture their movements. There were interactive touch screens where patrons could have their picture taken and their faces morphed with the faces of the characters from the film. One car smelled of pipe tobacco another, gingerbread. The artwork on display was beautiful. I was amazed at all the detail and talent that went into these pieces of concept art, not like they would have a kindergarten art class do the set design or anything but you'd have to see it to appreciate it.

At the end of the tour we were welcomed to a private viewing of unreleased scenes from the movie. I really enjoyed watching the previews in 3d. It has been nearly 20 years since I saw a film in 3d and I have to say I still think it is pretty darn cool. I couldn't tell if the kids were impressed though. I think the movie will be fun and entertaining as a very expensive cartoon. I really appreciate this type of promotion for a film. It was interactive and free!

After the previews we bid our farewells and I went to get something to eat. I stopped at Fat Fish Blue for some crayfish. I decided on their sampler, a cup of jambalaya, a cup of gumbo, a cup of red beans and rice and some crayfish (you suck da heads). I wasn't keen on the jambalaya. It was too oily and sweet from the tomatoes. The red beans and rice were a surprise, but not one I liked, although I hear from the barkeep the current members of Three Dog Night found the dish very pleasing. The initial bite was sweet and then a wallop of spice came in with a sucker punch. I did, however, enjoy their gumbo and I hear Paul Mooney loves the collard greens. I thought about ordering them as a side but after the sampler I was too full.

Not bad for a Thursday evening in September.

2 Comments:

Blogger H. Harvey said...

I'm late visiting this blog. Nice drawing, Kirk. I once AD'd a live music broadcast to Tokyo during Half Time of the Sugar Bowl from a Jazz Hall in New Orleans. This had us in the French Quarter on New Years Eve. I wish I could say it was a wild and crazy ride, but it wasn't. The one notable moment came at dinner when I got crawfish soup (or chowder) and just popping out of the surface of the creamy cup was a little set of antennai. Not good.
xo h

2:28 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

That was my first experience with gumbo in Nawlins too! It was in a dive of a place and the roux in the gumbo looked like it was made from the banks of the Mississippi, dark and dirty with various crustaceans looing at me with black eyes. It is always troubling for me at first when I eat something that has a face.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home